Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Camping in Snow Canyon State Park (May 14-16)

We invited Grandma and Grandpa Cheesman, Grandma Beth, and Karla and Sam and his kids to come to dinner while we were camping at Snow Canyon State Park. Kya was helping me make the Peach Cream cheese cobbler.
It turned out extremely yummy. I really enjoyed the "Volcano II" that we used to cook them in. I am including the list of ingredients for the cobbler and the potatoes so I can remember them in the future.
Peach Cream Cheese Cobbler: (doubled)
2 yellow cake mixes,
2 cubes of butter
a #10 can of peaches
2 packages of 1/3 fat cream cheese.
1 dutch over aluminum liner (so you don't have to clean the dutch over after!)
*Put in the liner and add the peaches with about a third of the juice. Cut the cream cheese into cubes and mix it in with the peaches and juice. Put the cake mixes on top. Add another third of the juice or even a bit more if you like. Cut the butter into little pats and place them all over the top of the cake mixes. Cook until you smell it and the top is golden brown. For the Volcano II, have a layer of coals on the bottom and then at least four on top.

Dutch Oven Potatoes (I always forget proportions from summer to summer so I must write it down to remember it)
5lbs of pealed and sliced potatoes
3 large yellow onions diced
2 lbs of thick bacon chopped up
season salt to taste
*Cook the bacon until crispy and leave all the grease in with it. Add the onions and cook them until transparent. Add the potatoes and mix them all together. Cook for 20 minutes, then stir them. Cook for 20 minutes, then stir them. Finish cooking until done. They are delicious! I love dutch oven food! With the Volcano II we can even dutch oven safely in our back yard.
My mom came to my cooking rescue. Kade had left with Kari, Kiera and Kolden to see Kari's soccer game and I was to cook with Kya. Right after he left I realized there was no lighter fluid or onions left at camp. I miraculously got cell phone service just long enough to call mom for help and she came to my rescue. She also brought with her some rolls to go with dinner. She grilled the barbaque chicken and it was so yummy with Famous Dave's Barbaque Sauce. Yum!

SNAKE!!!!! We had an extra visitor to dinner, it was a ground snake. I have never been camping with a snake before. We were very cautious about the snake and got the ranger right away. It was just a little baby, about as thick a pencil, but we were not sure what kind it was.
It really liked the tires of our pop tent camper. You can see it's head there.
When it thought the coast was clear it moved toward the bike trailer. I think it was headed away from people and to the bushes nearby.
The ranger picked it up and even let us pet it. She went and put it back in the bushes - far away from the camp sites. I was glad we were not hurt and the baby snake was not hurt. After all, we were in IT'S ecosystem and it was just trying to get around.
We also saw this beautiful bird, but I don't know what kind it is. There were also lots of Quail running around on the North side of the campground.
Grandma Beth - enjoying a visit.
Grandma's Creta (holding Kolden) and Beth.
Grandma Creta - Kolden loves to get loves from her.
Grandpa Brian - he and Grandma brought a sweet watermelon to share at dinner. It was good!

Hallie is in the camper behind Grandpa, she came to play with Grandma and Grandpa. Nicole, one of our new cousins is there in the photo too. It was fun to have her, Danielle and Clark up there playing.
There is Uncle Sam and Aunt Karla enjoying the cobbler. Sam makes some good dutch oven potatoes too. He puts Dr. Pepper in his as a secret ingredient.

Before it was "quiet time" at camp we all enjoyed the wiggle cars on the pavement. It was dark so my photos aren't the best.


Wha-hoooooooo!!!!! Those wiggle cars are so fun! Yes, Kade and I ride them too. We are just big kids. It is fun to play with our kids.After everyone left and everything was cleaned up it was time for bed. Our four sweet bugs in a rug. The weather was just perfect and we didn't even need to use the propane heater at night. We had lots of fun camping! Luckily we have 1pm church on Sundays so we are able to stay over on Saturday night and head home before church on Sunday mornings.

We didn't have any pictures of the bike riding, but we did try to do some bike riding with our mountain bikes in Snow Canyon. I tried to ride from our parent's homes on 540 North all the way to our camp site in Snow Canyon State Park. I did eventually do it, it just took two tries, because the first attempt I blew a tire and had to walk back. Kade let me use his bike and I took Kolden and Kiera with me in the bike trailer. It was a fun ride and a good work out. We are so blessed to have so many fun trails around this area and so many awesome places to go camping. I love where we live!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That looks SO fun! That cobbler is making my mouth water. What a great time for the whole family.