
Every year when I teach Earth Systems Science I just get so excited about different topics throughout the year that I find fascinating, even though I teach it over and over every year. I am continually amazed at the wonders of God and His brilliance in creating Earth so perfectly!
Right now we are starting our unit on WATER and I find myself wanting to just shout out to the classes - "Do you see that WATER is proof of a Divine Creator!" Water could never be so amazing just by chance. God created it to be amazing due to its properties. There is nothing so ordinary, yet so spectacular as WATER!
A bit about the properties of WATER...
It creates erosion (which can be good - like carving out the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park, and it can be disastrous - like floods and tsunamis).
This erosion allows for nutrients to be disolved into the water so plants can take in those nutrients and grow. Water is a UNIVERSAL SOLVENT, meaning it disolves most everything. This is so necessary for nutrients and good things to be dissolved, but it can be bad when there is pollution.
It has capillary action so that water in our blood is carried up to our heart again and it goes up in plants, like those incredible Red Wood Trees. It is fun to dye white carnations with food coloring to show this (my little girls especially like it). Along with the capillary action is surface tension that allows us to pump water from wells.
Water is less dense when it is cold and freezes, so ice floats. God was so perfect to make it this way or our rivers, lakes and the ocean would just be frozen masses from the bottom up. Instead the ice that floats and covers those reservoirs of water protect all that is sheltered under it and currents can still flow and life can continue in its miraculous wonder.
Water's properties change when you add salt to it, so the boiling point and freezing point change. It is harder to freeze salt water. So that must be why the ocean is salt water, so it won't all freeze up on top when it gets cold.
The density of water changes with temperature so less dense warm water comes to the top and more dense cold water sinks to the bottom to create our water currents, that in turn create our air currents (if you put both on a map and overlap those maps the currents for water and air are almost exactly the same - isn't that cool!)
There is soooo much that is so cool about WATER. It is a liquid treasure and a chemical wonder! WATER is proof that God created the Earth because this amazing molecule could never be so amazing by chance.
Lets all go drink a nice big glass of WATER and be grateful!
3 comments:
I like water. :)
Kelli - I didn't expect a blog to teach so much. I loved your water information. I didn't know about the water currents and air currents being so similar. I also didn't realize that salt water is harder to freeze than non salted. I sure wish I had had you as a teacher for science.
Post a Comment